Russian government websites face ‘unprecedented’ wave of hacking attacks, ministry says

“We are recording unprecedented attacks on the websites of government authorities,” the statement said. “While their capacity at peak times previously reached 500 GB, it is now increased to 1 TB. That is to say two to three times more powerful than the most serious incidents of this type recorded previously.

On Wednesday evening, the website of the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations was damaged by hackers, who altered its content. Notably, the hack replaced the department’s hotline with a number that Russian soldiers can call if they want to leave the army – under the title “Come back alive from Ukraine”.

The main news articles on the ministry’s front page have been replaced with “Don’t believe the Russian media – they are lying” and “Russia default is near”, along with a link offering “full information on the war in Ukraine”.

Also on Wednesday, insults targeting President Vladimir Putin and Russians over the situation in Ukraine were added to dozens of Russian court sites.

Under recent Russian laws against spreading ‘fake news about the military’, using the words ‘war’ or ‘invasion’ to describe what the Kremlin calls a ‘special military operation in Ukraine’ carries heavy penalties. fines and years in prison.

A few days after Russia began its attack on Ukraine, the official Tass news agency was hacked and defaced with an advertisement urging people to “take to the streets against the war”.

Russia’s main utility portal, Gosuslugi, has suffered more than 50 crippling denial-of-service attacks, the Russian Communications Ministry said on Feb. 26.

In early March, several other websites were hacked, including the Ministry of Culture, the Federal Penitentiary Service and internet regulator Roskomnadzor.